Shades of Indigo.

Phew!!  We certainly hit the ground running in the second year of my degree course…..

Our module brief  'Shades of Indigo' asked us to create designs for fashion textiles using 'indigo' as our colour palette.

Well, everything has turned blue, not only paper and fabric, but my hands( no gloves) and  several white shirts (oh.. where did I put my apron) .

I needed to produce thirty paper designs and fifteen fabric designs using print, stitch and manipulation.

Heres a selection of my work.

My inspiration came from my summer sketchbook. I had experimented with Oriental brush painting.

I also looked at Japanese textiles especially 'Boro' with is now considered an art form although it was initially a utilitarian way of preserving clothes and other textiles.


During my further research I looked at the work of 'Yayoi Kusama' who lives and works in Japan and works with repeated 'Polka Dots.



                                                                                                  

I worked on my own piece of 'Boro' and did some darning too. Both are ways of making fabric last longer as well as being decorative.


 These are some of my paper designs.

and a selection of my fabric designs...


 printed on hand dyed Thai silk..


hand and machine stitched appliquéd polka dots on hand dyed Thai silk...


printed and machine stitched on hand dyed Cambric…


 reverse applique with machine couching and hand stitched french knots on a hand dyed wool mix…


I have some of my dyed fabric left over and am working on a short tutorial on Boro. I hope to add some kits to my Etsy shop over the weekend.

It"s been a whirlwind over the last six weeks, our new module starts on Monday, so now to clean my house, buy some food to stock my cupboards and enjoy catching up before I start again. 

Guess what? I love it!!

XOX Angela.

Comments

Shirley said…
I can tell you love it Angela and I can see you are going to pass with flying colours. Indigo in this case. Have not forgot about the cup of tea.
lynn cockrell said…
Your sample pieces look great, Angela! How talented you are!
Dorthe said…
Hello Angela,
I have alwayes loved the blue in every tone ,and your samples are all beautiful,-
I love the darnings you made, and your fabrics are wonderful, too.
Go ahead have fun and create beauty...I hope to see you in between it all. :-)
Dorthe, xo
Jillayne said…
I love looking at your work here - the indigo colour is a favourite of mine - so rich and vibrant.
Thanks so much for posting your work; it's such a pleasure to see what you are hard at work at.
Hi Angela, I love the diversity of techniques. It must be fun to try and learn so many new things. Your designs are beautiful.
Hugs,
Julia
Hello Angela, your designs are beautiful! And so is your summer painting. I love blue but not on your hands and white shirts no. Looks like you're having a lot of fun with experimenting though. Good luck with the new module!
Such beautiful work, Angela. I do hope all is well and that you are continuing to create and have fun. best wishes, Tammy
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nisha Sharma said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Using every last scrap.

Progress on the Christmas quilt.

Say Hello to Maggie Lowe Designs