Using every last scrap.

With each collection of fabrics I am aiming to use "Every Last Scrap". There is so much waste created by the textile industry. I love fabric but I don't feel the need to hoard it or build a stash.

After owning a Patchwork and Quilting shop in the late 1990s and with a partner who was a representative  for Moda fabrics, I managed to gather lots of fabrics. In 2014 I started a BA Hons in Textile Design (printed fabrics) which led to more fabrics being accumulated.

I realise that having so much fabric inhibits, rather than encourages productivity.

Sitting looking at huge amounts of fabric is overwhelming for me. Gradually I have donated, sold or given away most of my accumulation. I now work with a small collection and aim to use every little piece. This encourages my creativity and encourages a large body of work from even a small collection.

I also avoid taking part in dozens workshops. I have attended so many and each producing lots of samples. I'm working back over my favourites taking the techniques learned to use "Every Scrap of Knowledge" to some purpose.

Workshops can become addictive but can be costly if their inspiration is not carried forward into a piece of work.

This Baby Snuggle Quilt "Rock a Bye Baby" was made from striped man's shirt from a charity shop, an aqua blue linen shirt (washed and worn) a vintage white cotton sheet and a cotton duvet cover. plus a small piece of linen from a previous project.



Using Intuitive Improv piecing create an abstract design suitable for a boy or a girl. The skinny lines lead your eye across the design and create focal points.


It has been backed with a flannel sheet and has been hand quilted with white thread leaving exposed knots on the surface.
I have finished with "Rock a Bye Baby" embroidered on the reverse.






Left with lots of pieces of fabric the next thing to do was create some cushions.



These  are intuitively and improv pieced and one is matchstick quilted the other is a mix of hand and machine quilting.
And still I had fabric left and really enjoying the process of "Use Every Scrap".


And so a little project bag to hold the scraps, stitched Boro style, with a little hand embroidery to finish.



Finally things are getting smaller with a little bit of Crazy Patchwork and Hand Embroidery.
A Needle Book, Pincushion,Scissor Fob and Case.

All of these are in my Etsy Shop. https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/angierichardson



My next "Use every Scrap" collection "Just Picking' Daisies" .

Lovely linens and cottons to herald spring.

I encourage you to try this way of working. it really shows how creative you can be by limiting your options. Less is More!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Progress on the Christmas quilt.

Say Hello to Maggie Lowe Designs